December 30, 2011

Marriage/Divorce/Hollywood

So, it was just reported on imdb's twitter feed that Russell Brand is filing for divorce from Katy Perry. Now,  I understand that a ton of people get divorced these days, but I'm actually pretty sad about this one. They both seem crazy enough to love each other, but it didn't work out in the end. But, according to my old man, there is no better material for a CD than a broken heart. I may be nothing like Katy Perry, but she totally gets me.

Here are some couples who have made it work, and I love them for it. They show us that Hollywood can actually marry itself, and it can last. Longer than 72 days. Or 48 hours. Take some notes Kim K.





Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell- 
I've loved these two since Overboard. They are both very funny in the film, and I always think of them as "Annie and Dean", yelling "Katarina!" and "Orturro!" from two separate boats, and swimming towards each other. It's also so nice to see a couple go through the long haul together.

Joanna: Captain Karl?
Capt. Karl: Yes madam?
Joanna: We've never really had time to talk.
Capt. Karl: No, we haven't.
Joanna: Well, there's no time now.




 Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson- Who could forget the curly hair in Sleepless in Seattle? These two are so wonderful. They just exude comedy and happiness, and I bet their dinner parties are fantastic. In his Oscar acceptance speech for his Forrest Gump win, Tom stated "I wouldn't be standing here without the woman I share my life with, who has taught me and demonstrates for me everyday, just what love is." So well put Tom. 
Sam: Well I'm not looking for a mail-order bride! I just want somebody I can have a decent conversation with over dinner. Without it falling down into weepy tears over some movie!
Greg: She's, as you just saw, very emotional.
Sam : Although, I cried at the end of "the Dirty Dozen."
Greg: Who didn't? 



 Emily Blunt and John Krasinski- These two are fantastic actors on their own, but together, it's just like peanut butter and jelly. I love how they always look so happy and in love, and who wouldn't want to be?! I hope we see them together in a flick soon.
"It was one of those things where I wasn't really looking for a relationship and I was thinking I'm going to take my time in L.A." Krasinski said on an episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show. "Then I met her and I was so nervous. I was like, 'Oh God, I think I'm going to fall in love with her.' As I shook her hand I went, 'I like you.'"



 
Will Arnett and Amy Poehler- These two wrote the book on crazy. But I just love everything they do. Parks and Rec is genius, as is Arrested Development. I think an afternoon with the two of them would be priceless.I cannot wait for new seasons/ Arrested Development Movie! 
Ben Stiller on Blades of Glory: "They work together so well as a couple. It's fun to see their rhythm together, they play off each other so well. Will plays things straight but with an awareness of what's funny. Amy is so good and polished as a live performer and has a funny, quirky sensibility. In person, they're affectionate, rubbing an arm here, patting a shoulder there, without ever encroaching on smug marrieds territory. They effortlessly seem to set up comedy bits for each other."



Will Smith and Jada Pinkett- These two are totally adorable. They have a beautiful family and life together, and their great-great-grandchildren will still be living off of Will's massive fortune. Way to go team! We all remember that heartbreaking scene in Hitch, where Will is standing outside the car in the rain, wondering why the girl never called him. I'm so glad that never happened in real life. Or their separation.  Jada: "I will throw my career away before I let it break up our marriage. I made it clear to Will. I'd throw it away completely." Will: "With Jada I stood up in front of God and my family and said, 'till death us do part'. Divorce cannot be an option ... I honestly believe there is no woman for me but Jada. No one can handle me the way she does ...Once you feel someone locked in on you, it's no contest. This is it. I can't imagine what anyone else would offer."

So there you have it. Love does exist. It is real. Everyone deserves, and can achieve loving and being loved. It's nice to know in a world of heartbreak and divorce.

Think of it like Paul Valery,  "Love is being stupid together."


No comments:

Post a Comment