June 6, 2011

A perfect movie weekend

 Hello all. I'm sorry it has been a month since my last post. But life gets away from you in the summer it seems. I had a very boring weekend to some but managed to fit three movies into it. I would highly recommend all three. They included Toy Story 3, 12 Angry Men, and Princess Ka'iulani. It was a perfect mix of movies, a light-hearted, star-studded flick, a black and white gritty drama, and a turn of the century romance. Now for each movie individually.

Stoneman Says.....
See All Three!

I am completely biased when it comes to Disney movies. In some ways we all are. We grew up on them, we re-visit them on our occasional sick days, and put those favorite songs on our ipods to revisit childhood for a short three minute song. With that one song, we are filled with more joy than any song found on the radio, because we know every word, or finally understand how ingenious the lyrics truly are. (Thank you Alan Menken) This movie made me want to pull out Guzzy, my beloved brown/red fuzzy dog, who got me through just about every moment of being a kid. Well, i'm still a kid in many ways, i'm just not allowed to bring him with me in public. Toy Story 3 is a must see, bring on the Kleenex team.

Next, 12 Angry Men. What a movie. I have never seen a movie with the great Henry Fonda until this weekend, and boy was he fantastic. There's just something about a black and white movie, the suspense, the music, and in this case, these 12 angry sweating men in a jury room. I have never read much John Grisham, but he has probably taken a few notes from this wonderfully written movie.

Last, but not least Princess Ka'ulani. I saw a trailer for this way back in 2009, and I've always wanted to see it. Sadly, I have never been to the beautiful Hawaii (pronounced Ha-vi-ee in the movie), but it sure had some beautiful shots of the majestic island. For those like me who do not know much of the story of how Hawaii was taken over by the U.S., it was a great historical look at how the niece of the King had the courage and bravery to fight for her countrymen, when the nation was falling apart with U.S. takeover. I thought this was a very bittersweet movie, and for the first time, I didn't feel so great being an American. But the movie pointed out in the final credits that President Clinton did sign an Apology Resolution in 1993 to Hawaii, so I felt a little better.

I am extremely behind on my summer movie viewing, and I will do my best to catch up!
Happy Summer Everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment