April 26, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story

Hello again. I've just watched It's Kind of a Funny Story, directed by Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden. I didn't realize it's based on a book by Ned Vizzini. (Sweet name huh!?) The story involved an NYC teenager who has been dealing with depression. Nothing new here right? Well the thing is, he's not that crazy. Which he discovers after 5 days in adult psychiatric in a hospital close to his house. We there meet the many funny characters who help dear Craig along his path to discharge.


Stoneman Says: Skip it. 
This was a funny movie, and a simple story of feeling crazy in a pretty crazy world. There were some awesome moments, a few of which involved scrubs, David Bowie, and all that a psych ward entails. I would describe this as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-The teenage years.  I'll save you the time. It ends happy. He leaves with a new outlook on life, and a great montage at the end, where we find him living his own life (as much as you can at 16), and doing what makes him happy. This was my first movie that I have seen with Keir Gilchrist (plays Craig), who did do a good job, and I'm interested to see him in other roles. Also, my first movie with Zach Galifianakis (plays Bobby). He is a funny actor. I just stop myself from seeing most of what he is in lately. Probably best. But a great performance from him. So skip it. You know how it ends after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment