March 28, 2011

Nothing like it..



I am a person who can never do anything half-heartedly. I am an all or nothing person. I have come to feel the exact same way about filmmaking, and it can be a tedious process. As a movie once said, “What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.” I am a person who has many ideas, and they don’t go away until they are fulfilled or completed. That’s what I believe a filmmaker should be, someone who comes up with great ideas, and cannot rest until that can be put on the silver screen. Though I may never accomplish these dreams, movies do exist in my mind, floating around, and I hope to someday make those dreams a reality. A friend once told me that a movie is never completed, it just escapes from you and is shown to others. I believe there is no feeling like sitting on the edge of your seat, completely immersed in someone else’s story, and escaping your own for a few brief hours. To be folding and unfolding the same movie ticket in your sweaty hands, holding your breath, and waiting for the next moment to unfold. Your mouth dropping open at a plot twist, or the amazing stunt that was just pulled off by the skin of their teeth. Laughing uncontrollably, and shaking from head to toe in fits of giggles, along with everyone else in the theater. Or crying over a movie, no matter how sad or lame the writing may be, simply having that human understanding of emotion, heartache, and happiness that comes from living your life and pursuing your dreams. THAT is what I have always understood as a movie go-er, and that is what one can only hope to create through their own personal work. I hope to post thoughts an opinions about the movies that I see, and share them with you. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment