January 20, 2014

Young Ones

Hey Team,

Well I was lucky enough to be invited to attend a Sundance film with some dear friends last night. It was my turn to host our monthly dinner, so I served some hummus and pita chips, (don't kid yourself, it was store bought). Then some yummy salad with onions, blue cheese, strawberries and blueberry pomegranate dressing. The main course was pork in a bag, some steamed broccoli and ice cream for dessert. It was super successful and I felt super becky-home-ecky.

Myself, Carmen and Jeff

Afterwards, we went down to Rose Wagoner, (one of the best venues for Sundance downtown might I add) and saw Young Ones, directed by Gweneth Paltrow's unknown brother Jake Paltrow. It's set in a grim town where the land has dried up, and water is a precious commodity. It made me thirsty just watching it. They actually filmed it in South Africa, and Jake told the audience afterward in the Q&A that the very first day of filming, it was 115 degrees. Now that is determination. It was such a great story, and I absolutely think he's got a very bright future in directing. Nicholas Hoult was in it, (J.Law's current boyfriend) as well as Elle Fanning, who I think is a better actress than her older sister. But my favorite character hands down has to be the loyal sun Jerome, played by Kodi Smit-McPhee. I couldn't believe how wonderfully he portrayed the seemingly shy and quiet 14 year old, but out of nowhere came into his own and defended his family and land.

The most interesting part of the entire film for me, was the use of futuristic technology. The family is forced to buy a praying-mantis like machine to haul goods up to the water pipeline workers for their livelihood. The dynamic between this machine and humans was a fantastic theme throughout the film, watching so many people come apart before the machine's eyes.
Jake Paltrow at the Q&A

I have no doubt it will be picked up, and I can't wait to see Jake Paltrow's next project.

Here's to quenching your Sundance thirst!

Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment