August 12, 2013

Mandy Freakin Patinkin


Hey Team,

So if you know anything about my junior high and high school days, you know that I loved choir. I was that alto singing my guts out, and hopefully not singing to myself on my way to class. (*Shudder*) But I do love music and musicals. They just fill me up and make me feel better about life. Sure, music does this for almost everyone, but there's something about stories that just latch on to you, and you never forget them. The songs and characters stay with you, and each time you hear it, you travel back in time, to the place you were the first time you heard it. It's like an audio scrapbook of your life.

So when I heard that Mandy Patinkin was coming to Deer Valley, I just about fell out of my chair. The prices at the Music Festival can be pretty steep, and I thought it was out of my reach. But then, a miracle happened. My best friend in the whole world scored me tickets. I was going to see Mandy. After what seemed like 23 years of waiting. (I was probably a fan of his since birth)

Now, I understand that not all stars are the most gracious of people. Mandy himself has said he's an asshole to work with, but if I had those pipes, I'd probably be a diva too. But my favorite musicals that Mandy has done have to be Archibald Craven in The Secret Garden, and Georges Seurat in Sundays in the Park with George. No contest. I know that he is also a talented actor in many films, but I just prefer him singing.

We were seated on the 12th row, and we got our delicious mushroom burgers to munch on before the show began. The first half were some great selections from the Utah Symphony from the Broadway stage. Then the second half, Mandy came out. He did some wonderful numbers. He even did Bohemian Rhapsody. That's right folks. He did Queen. Straight-faced and fantastic. THEN my dream came true, and he sang "Sunday" from Sundays in the Park with George. I knew this may not ever happen again, and I just held my breath, cried happy tears, and listened with my whole soul. It still hasn't really sunk in that it happened, but I'm so glad it did. I am so lucky for such a wonderful friend.

May all your musical dreams come true!

Jana
Didn't realize the woman behind us wanted to give us a show. 

Besties. 
Mandy

Beautiful Stage. 







Nightfall




Enjoy the magic. 

1 comment:

  1. You had a much better view than I did. I must confess that was the second time I have seen him. I saw him at Abravanel Hall and dear Julia scored a single seat maybe tens rows back. I was in heaven. He was something at DV and I was transported yet again though at a much higher altitude. You really should NetFlix Chicago Hope. He sings but not every episode. will never forget his Silent Night. So glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete