February 13, 2013

The Polarizing Day of Love

So here we are again arriving at the day typically most love or hate. Some claim to be "indifferent." But in a world of Facebook and Instagram, it's becoming more and more difficult to live through major holidays without feeling some twinge of jealousy, or in rare cases hatred towards those who are currently "enaged", "in a relationship", "married", or my personal favorite, "it's complicated".

So here's my solution for myself tomorrow. I'm not checking any social media. No Twitter, No Facebook, no nothing. I don't want to see the teddy bears, the roses, or the valentines. I don't have a problem if you get them, I just don't see the point in expressing more love on a Thursday, as opposed to any other day.

In my family, (at least as far back as I can remember) we say "I love you",  a lot. At night before bed, signing off of Google Plus conversations, and usually as we each leave every morning. I sometimes feel a little strange leaving before John yells back up the stairs, "Love you too, Beezer! Have a good day!" (Beezer is a family nickname, morphed from the original Jana Banana)

I did a story last year on Valentine's Day, and one particular interview stuck with me. It was with a guy who grew up in my neighborhood, and I wanted a genius point of view on what love meant to him. (He's really smart folks, S-M-R-T) (Thanks Homer Simpson for the S-M-R-T)

He said, "It's strange that we choose to say I love you on Valentine's Day, or be particularly nice on this major holiday. It should be that way everyday."

So this one blog post won't change the world, but I'm trying to change my attitude about this holiday. I love that you're in love, but that doesn't mean I have to be in love to feel appreciated, fulfilled, or validated. That should come from within. Yes, it's sometimes difficult to love myself when I'd rather YouTube Glozell's Cinnamon Challenge on a Friday night, snort-laughing with my best friend, as opposed to going on a blind day with some hunk of burnin' love. But that's just me.

I think that loving yourself is sometimes not spoken about enough. Confidence is a breeze for some, and a mountain to climb for others. But it's not impossible to have confidence in yourself, your pursuits, and the life you are choosing to lead.  Check out how great you look today, and as the great Carole King sings "You've got to get up every morning with a smile on your face and show the world all the love in your heart, and people gonna treat you better, you're gonna find, yes you will, that you're beautiful, as you feel."

You've got that right, sister. So paint your nails. Watch your favorite movie. Play sugar crush until you are out of lives.  Whatever blows up your skirt, I think we've all earned the chance to do these things that make us happy, whether we've got a Valentine or not. Be your own Valentine!

Thanks, Pinterest.


Happy V-day Everyone!

Love,

Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment